Families are welcome at Nelson’s Rest. If you are without a car there is plenty to keep the children amused with a long expanse of shingle beach on your doorstep and local attractions accessible by foot or by bus including our two castles, the Timeball Tower, Maritime Museum, Tide Leisure Pool, Walmer paddling pool and playgrounds.
Family friendly accommodation: The back bedroom is best for the children. There are two single beds that can be zipped together to form a king size ouble, a box of books and games for under 7s plus teddies. The bathroom has a tub as well as a hand-held shower attachment. The outside courtyard is full enclosed with a locking back gate. There is a washing machine, parking and it is easy to get a buggy into the cottage.
Baby/toddler equipment: High chair, cot, stair gate, toddler steps for the bathroom sink, socket protectors, plastic crockery, cutlery and beakers. There are also two micro scooters and 2 bikes suitable for under 5s.
Children’s meals: The fully quipped kitchen includes a hand blender plus a microwave.
Children’s toys and games: A selection of books, board games and children’s toys suitable for under 7s. There is also a small collection of DVDs.
Children’s activities in and close to Deal
- relax and play on the shingle beach
- scoot along the pier and enjoy a milkshake at the end
- Walmer open-air paddling pool with putting green next door
- walk or ride the scooter/cycle path along the seafront from Deal to Kingsdown
- try yummy ice-creams at the Beach Parlour on the seafront
- playgrounds at Mark Wood, Walmer and opposite Tides Leisure Centre at Victoria Park
- at low tide Sandwich Bay has a sand beach for sandcastles and rock pools at St Margarets Bay
- The Pines Garden St Margarets has extensive paths for buggys and children can enjoy the Sense-ability Garden and the Sustainability Trail
- unlock the pirate treasure chest at South Foreland Lighthouse by completing the treasure trail (£1) and fly a kite for free in the grounds of the lighhouse
For older children:
- Deal and Dover Castle to explore
- Fowlmead Country Park with its large wooden adventure playground, walking, cycle and mtb tracks
- there are tennis courts next door to the playgrounds at Mark Wood (opposite the Esso garage on the opposite side of the road) and at St Margarets next door to the holiday park
- outdoor skate park to the side of Tides Leisure Centre
- incredible mass of fossils to be found at Folkestone Warren beach
- there is an indoor skate park and climbing centre (Revolution) at Broadstairs for older children
- for younger children there is the Helter Skelter children’s activity centre with ball pond, slides and climbing frames. Broadstairs is approximately half an hour drive and has lovely beachs and fabulous restaurants too
- there is a bowling alley at Margate (AMF Bowling)
- cinemas at Sandwich and Westwood Cross(morning. showings from £1.50).
- Westwood Cross also has a selection of family-friendly restaurant chains including Ask, Nandos, Fankie and Benny’s and BM Gourmet Steak Burgers and shopping
- East Ken Railway for a heritage train ride and woodland walks
There’s a wide choice of animal wildlife parks including Wingham Wildlife Park and the Aspinall Wild Animal Parks Howletts and Port Lympne, Farming World at Faversham and WildWood at Herne Bay. All of these animal attractions are between 30 and 45 minutes drive away.
Most family friendly places to eat:
- The Royal Hotel Boathouse Bar is a good place to eat as a family – it has a kids menu and a fantastic location by the beach with dining inside or out on the terrace.
- The Burger Bros pop-up diner at the Deal Hoy (pub) is also perfect for an early evening burger on Wednesday, Friday & Saturday evenings – a kids menu/option with the American Brunch (10-12 Sat/Sun) and Southern BBQ Sunday Lunch (1-3pm) – brunch and lunch must be pre-booked 07972 595579.
- Jasin’s on the Pier has an extensive menu with the usual family favourites and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as for milkshakes.
- Sea View on Beach Street on the seafront for eat in fish and chips.